I will continue my efforts to enhance public safety on the roadways and in our rural residential areas with road improvements, enforcement for speeding, and investments in public safety officers to enhance community policing. Speeding is the topic of the most concern across the district and has been for 15 years. For the third year, the Board of Supervisors asked the general assembly to permit photo speed cameras with ticketing ability. Implementation of cameras would get the attention of drivers; reducing speed would certainly save lives.
- Supported creation of a multi agency team to assist residents exhibiting mental health crisis, with the intent to divert these people to treatment rather than to jail. Members of the police, fire and rescue, and social services departments work together with mental health specialists;
- Worked with VDOT and citizens (2005 TO 2010) to replace the Advance Mills bridge;
- When a member of the Citizens Transportation Advisory Committee (then CHART), I advocated for a decade to convert two intersections near the airport to roundabouts, enhancing traffic flow and eliminating highway deaths in those areas;
- Doggedly pursued traffic safety measures in the Earlysville village, with more work to do. Rumble strips, tree trimming, permanent speed signs are complete and effective. More County-funded improvements are in consideration.
- I am a founding member and have been a leader in the Earlysville Area Residents League (EARL) for more than 40 years. EARL was the first citizen group to bring a resident survey to the County Supervisors in pursuit of neighborhood improvements; with my family I started the July 4th parade in Earlysville 29 years ago.
- I have worked with residents and property owners in our country crossroad villages to maintain vdot depots and post offices and to define and encourage reuse of historic buildings for desirable rural businesses.